A few years ago, one of my sons did the college abroad thing and spent a semester “studying” in Europe. He traveled around from country to country experiencing the many great cultures and people of this wonderful continent. When I asked him what his favorite country was he replied: “Ireland. Ireland is so beautiful – but that’s not really what made me fall in love with this country.” And then he thought for another moment and said: “It was the people – the Irish always seem to be smiling and laughing, as if they didn’t have a care in the world!”
When my son said the Irish always seem to be laughing I thought to myself – that’s it. That’s what brings the Irish all their luck – their laughter! One of the great things about laughter (and research shows there are many) is that it’s contagious. Once someone starts laughing – the next thing you know, everyone is laughing.
So what does laughter have to do with saving your marriage?
In today’s crazy world, where everyone seems to be so serious and stressed out – and marriages are feeling the heavy strain of these tumultuous times – every person in every marriage would benefit tremendously by remembering to laugh and keep our sense of humor. In our relationships, every issue is not the end of the world – so don’t make it one in your marriage. Lighten up and remember to laugh at yourself.
Below are 5 great benefits of laughter based upon scientific research – and how it will save your marriage:
- Laughter releases endorphins from your brain. These endorphins make you feel energetic and breathe new and invigorating energy into your life while simultaneously reducing stress.
- Laughter provides a sense of physical and emotional release.
- Laughter prevents you from focusing on guilt and other negative emotions in a much more beneficial way than other distractions can.
- Laughter-and humor- tends to put things in a positive perspective. So if you and your partner can laugh about a difficult situation – you are much more likely to work together to solve it – instead of fighting about it.
- Laughter is contagious and has a way of connecting you with others. We all know the party begins when the Irish arrive! If you can’t have a good laugh with an Irish crowd, I dare say you can’t have a good laugh at all!
Take a secret from the Irish and put it in your relationship! Laugh – and laugh it up with your partner. Approach your difficulties with a sense of humor and it will help keep them in perspective. Laughter is free and it spreads like wild-fire!
So laugh it up and you will bring the luck of the Irish into your relationship. Let’s get this party started…
Rekindle Romance and Happiness in Your Relationship,