The mistake many of us make when it comes to understanding how we relate to our partner (and others) is that we often forget that this relationship is predicated upon the most important relationship we all have. And no, it is not our relationship with our significant other – it is our relationship with our self!
Why? Our relationship with our self is the cornerstone upon which all other relationships are built. Our partner will be capable of loving us only to the extent with which we love our self. If we do not love ourselves and accept ourselves for whom we are – how can we possibly expect anyone else to? If you believe you are “damaged goods” – so, too, will the people around you believe the same. And who wants to buy -let alone love damaged goods?
This suggests that so many of us are looking for love in all the wrong places – outside ourselves. When in fact we should be looking for love by taking a glimpse in the mirror.
Read the 6 questions below and see if your reflection in the mirror reveals the foundation you must have for happiness in your relationships and your life.
- Does your reflection radiate happiness and joy?
- Do you accept yourself for who you are? Not worrying about whom you think you should be?
- Do you love yourself unconditionally? Are you your own best cheerleader? Or do you beat yourself up with every little perceived flaw and/or limitation?
- Are you filled with gratitude for your life and your special place within the world? Or do you focus on how unfairly life has treated you?
- Do you have an open mindset? Or are you closed to new possibilities and ways of thinking?
- Are you open to change? Or do you cling to the past?
The secret for getting happiness in our relationship(s) with others is found by being happy with ourselves. What you see when you look in the mirror will be reflected back at you by the world. Do you love yourself enough so that others, especially your significant other, will be willing to love you the way you want and deserve to be loved? If you can’t find love looking back at you in the mirror, you are looking for love in all the wrong places.
Rekindle Romance and Happiness in Your Relationship,