My son traveled throughout Europe and experienced many of the great cultures and people of this wonderful continent. But his favorite country – and people – was the Irish. When I asked him what it was he liked most about Ireland and the Irish people, he said: “The country is so beautiful but that’s not really what made me fall in love with Ireland”.
And then he thought for another moment and said: “I know what it was – It’s the people – and the way they always seem to be laughing”. My son continued to tell us how the Irish people always seemed to be happy, smiling and laughing – as if they didn’t have a care in the world; (and this was in the midst of one of Ireland’s greatest recessions!)
When my son said the Irish always seem to be laughing I thought to myself – that’s it. That’s what brings the Irish all their luck! Their laughter is what makes the Irish lucky- and their laughter is what makes everyone loves the Irish!
And you know what is great about laughter? It is contagious; once someone starts laughing, the next thing you know, everyone is laughing. How can you not be lucky when you are always laughing, and smiling?
It is this ability to laugh – at ourselves, and our lives that will bring the luck of the Irish into our relationship. How?
Below are 5 benefits of laughter based upon current research.
- Laughter releases endorphins from your brain. These endorphins make you feel energetic and breathe new and invigorating energy into your life while simultaneously reducing stress.
- Laughter provides a sense of physical and emotional release.
- Laughter prevents you from focusing on guilt and other negative emotions in a much more beneficial way than other distractions can.
- Laughter-and humor- tends to put things in a positive perspective. So if you and your partner can laugh about a difficult situation – you are much more likely to work together to solve it – instead of fighting about it.
- Laughter is contagious and has a way of connecting you with others. We all know the party begins when the Irish arrive! If you can’t have a good laugh with an Irish crowd; I dare say you can’t have a good laugh at all!
Do what the Irish do in your relationship! Laugh! It is why they are such a happy people! Laugh and laugh it up with your partner. Approach your difficulties with a sense of humor and keep it in perspective. It is free it spreads like wild-free!
So laugh it up and you will bring the luck of the Irish into your relationship. Let’s get this party started…
Rekindle Romance and Happiness in Your Relationship,
Dr. Patty Ann